How Does Speech Therapy Help the Geriatric Population?
Usually, when people hear speech therapy, they think about children who need help in pronouncing some words. While this may be true, speech therapy is so much more than that. Its benefits are not limited to kids. It’s also beneficial to the geriatric population.
The advantages of speech therapy services for seniors in home health care in Orlando, Florida, go beyond improved communication. In particular, speech therapy:
- Improves a senior’s ability to swallow and lessens their likelihood of choking on their food.
- Helps treat disorders associated with stroke, such as aphasia and apraxia.
- Reduces the risk of memory deterioration and preserves brain functions related to communication.
- Strengthens the muscles involved in the production of speech.
- Improves a patient’s quality of life through better socialization and improved ability to take in nutrients.
Central Florida Quality Care Services, Inc. is a home health agency in Deland, Florida, that provides top-notch speech therapy services. Our services are specialized to help the geriatric population improve their quality of life. If you notice your aging loved one having trouble swallowing their food or communicating their needs due to speech impediments, consider our services.
Want to know more about home health in Florida and speech therapy for seniors? Call us today!